Friday, February 29, 2008

unexpected day off

Well today is certainly a treat, I've had the past two days off, and today I was "on call". Being "on call" typically means I get a call at 6 am asking me to come in and begrudgingly work a thirteen hour shift. It is a very rare occasion when I don't get this call. I love days like today, an extra chance to continue with the projects I was working on the day before (or whenever).

Yesterday I was able to start and finish a project that I have been waiting to do for a while. I made my very own dress form using the paper tape tutorial on instructables.com


Here's a picture of my dress form in progress. I was able to do the majority of the front and parts of the lower back by myself. For the rest I enlisted the help of my TBF (trusty boyfriend), who was surprisingly good at this. The tutorial on instructables is fantastic, in my own opinion, the best piece of advice in the article would be to precut the paper tape in varying sizes. Preplanning this project (even if only an hour in advance) is a must. I cut darts in some of the strips that I was going to use on my curvier attributes to prevent ugly misshapen bumps on the surface of the form.


After being cut out of the form I taped it back up and cut off odd little bits that would not stay down.

















Once that was all done I finished the surface by applying two coats of clear acrylic gloss medium (cause I like shiny things). Please excuse the glare from my camera.

No comments: